Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wheel bearing replacement help?

I feel stupid. I am drawing a blank. How do I change a wheel bearing. The vehicle is a 99 jeep grand cherokee 4x4. Please and info and sites with diagrams would be a major help
Wheel bearing replacement help?
For the front, you have a cotter pin that holds a nut, behind which is a washer, which is located over the hub and bearing assembly, which in turn bolts to the brake shield, which in turn bolts to the steering knuckle. The ABS tone wheel feeds in behind all of that.



The bad news is that I don't think the bearing is replaced - I believe the whole hub and bearing assembly must be replaced as a unit if the bearing is worn. The assembly is held to the steering knuckle with three bolts on the back of the knuckle. Be very careful not to damage the tone wheel while you're messing around in there.



I believe the rear requires you to get into the differential and free up the rear axleshaft. You'll need a slide-puller to knock the bearing off the axleshaft.



Wish I could send you a link to the diagrams, but all my information is on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment