Friday, September 23, 2011

How important is a wheel bearing?

i have a wheel bearing passenger side of my s-10 starting to howl. pretty sure its toast. i do small maintenanceon my vehicles, changed a clutch a few years ago on my nissan. can i do this myself without much complication, special tools, and could i mess it up
How important is a wheel bearing?
Not hard to do,but make sure you pack the new bearings with grease.I don't mean rub some grease on them,I mean PACK.If you don't it want be long before they seize and then you will have a problem.
How important is a wheel bearing?
I've changed many bearings in my life. If you have decent tools and are not afraid to get the book and follow the directions-go for it.
Cake
Get a maintenance manual, your tools and have fun.
Yes you can do it. Yes you need a tool that will pack the new bearings with grease (easily and cheaply available at your local auto parts store). Yes you can mess it up. ;-) Just be careful not to over-tighten the nut that holds the bearing in.



Oh, and a wheel bearing is important. Actually, it's critical. I had one go bad and I kept driving on it (I was on a trip and in the middle of nowhere.). The wheel caught fire and burned the vehicle to the ground.



Fix it sooner rather than later though. A bad bearing can damage other components.
  • love girls myspace
  • dryer required in a hair salon
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment