Friday, September 23, 2011

DO I HAVE A BAD WHEEL BEARING??? OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Just last week I pulled out of work parking lot (which is gravel and mud with big puddle holes. Deep too) and I noticed a humming /vibration coming from under the car. I have a 4wd 2002 ford explorer. The noise/feeliing gets harder to notice at higher speeds, and when I am braking from 40ish, there is a clanking noise. And when I slow down, so does the humming vibration. But! It doesn't see, to be there all the time.



I was parked at a slant recently (uphill), and when I left, the clanking and vibration was the worst it ever was. And today when pulling onto a frontage rd, the turn is a tight turn that you have to slow way down for, and its downhill. And on that turn, I heard a squeeky clanking, and my steering wheel started shaking a bit after straightening out (and soon went away).



I know this is a lot of info. But I thought it would help if I gave as many details as poss. I should add-I had both front wheel bearings changed last year and the problem this time is very similar, but in rear (which I understand can be different things). Any help is much appreciated guys!
DO I HAVE A BAD WHEEL BEARING??? OR SOMETHING ELSE?
Brakes , steering and suspension is a must fix.

Do not leave it unnattended.

Get in to a qualified repair shop and get it fixed.
DO I HAVE A BAD WHEEL BEARING??? OR SOMETHING ELSE?
cv
type into search box



how to check a wheel bearing

how to check a wheel bearing video

how to check

how to repair

how to install

can pretty much find ahow to do it

add video and might even see how to do it

can find most car repairs this way



that or if you have doubts take to a shop



clanking not a good sign squeaking and clanking good sign it is bad

id guess and say cv joint
sounds more like a cv axle then a bearing. a bearing usually has a grinding noise.
you may have picked up a piece of gravel between the calliper and rotor. remove the wheel and take a look

No comments:

Post a Comment