Thursday, September 15, 2011

I just changed the right wheel bearing & hub on my 93 saturn sl2, now the steering is messed up?

I had to adjust the outer tie rod end in order to try to keep the wheels relatively aligned, it kinda looks like I may have over adjusted it, but not by much (the wheel is at an angle maybe 1 cm off from where it should be). I didn't think this would be enough to effect it, but the steering worked just fine before I did this. Now when turning left, the resistance is normal, when turning right, there is no resistance in the steering wheel, and either way, the steering wheel doesn't return itself to center as it once did.



Could that slight misalignment be enough to cause this? If not, what else could be causing this?



(Keep in mind that this didn't happen until I changed the wheel bearing/hub assembly).
I just changed the right wheel bearing %26amp; hub on my 93 saturn sl2, now the steering is messed up?
I would suggest you go to a tire shop / alignment and get it fixed at once. I hope you put the bearing in correctly. Amateurs should not attempt to repair wheel bearings, steering linkage, or brakes.
I just changed the right wheel bearing %26amp; hub on my 93 saturn sl2, now the steering is messed up?
Yes. It's called cantor, toe-in/toe-out. is important. You need to readjust to correct it.
I don't understand why you would need to adjust a tie rod end, if you only replaced a wheel bearing/ hub?

The alignment being a bit off should not alter the %26quot;feel%26quot; of the steering wheel, i.e. it should still behave the same turning in both directions.

As you have changed the right hub/ bearing, I would suggest it is dragging for some reason (not rotating freely). This would cause a side- to- side difference, the right turn would be %26quot;assisted%26quot; by the drag.

You have messed something up, for sure. Don't drive it until you have sorted it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment