Friday, September 23, 2011

Problem with my 2003 cavalier making noises when turning the wheel....?

Ok, I have a 2003 Chevy Cavalier LS with 52,000 miles on it. It's in great mechanical condition, never had any problems prior to this. The problem I seem to have is that whenever I turn the wheel to the right even the slightest bit, I get a whirring/humming noise. It's sometimes noisy and sometimes kinda subtle, but it's always there whenever I turn the wheel to the right side. Anytime I have the steering wheel in the normal position (facing straight ahead), or to the left it sounds 100% normal. There's no tightness in turning, and it hasn't gotten worse even thought I've been dealing with it for about a month. I got my wheel bearing changed thinking that was the problem, but it didn't help. I checked my PS fluid, and it's at regular levels, so I'm pretty sure it's not anything with the pump or any leaks in the power steering. Does anyone have any idea what this sounds like?
Problem with my 2003 cavalier making noises when turning the wheel....?
Sounds like a piston cup in the power-rack is leaking by. I replaced one in my Sunbird a couple of years ago and a re manned unit only cost about $80.Fun job though! Good Luck! ;-)=
Problem with my 2003 cavalier making noises when turning the wheel....?
check your power steering fluid level. it will whine if it's too low on fluid.
Change PS fluid and and Lucas PS conditioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment