Thursday, October 6, 2011

What is underlying issue for my car - wheel problems on Acura Integra?

I own a 1999 Acura Integra with 120,000 miles on it, that has always run great. It seems however that whenever it does need repairs it always revolves around brake/wheel problems. I had to replace both front wheel bearings in Jan 2007 and again in Jan 2008. The ABS sensors on at least one of my wheels is dead. The front rims on my car have darkened a bit. It looks heat-related to me. It does not just wipe off, I have tried using many different cleaners. They are often hot to the touch after driving too. The back rims on the other hand look fine. Have had to replace brakes and brake pads within the past year as well (although this seems like normal wear and tear to me)



My question is this...does this sound like there may be some underlying condition with my car that is causing so many wheel problems. If so, what are some possibilities? The thing that strikes me as odd is the 2 wheel bearing changes and the heat-charred rims. Whenever I take it to a shop nobody ever suggests anything even when I raise the issue. Even the Acura shop said nothing.



Maybe unrelated, but I replaced the muffler system 2-3 years ago, and right now I need to do it again.



Thank you.
What is underlying issue for my car - wheel problems on Acura Integra?
The wheel bearings should probably be warranty, and the dust on the rims is probably normal break dust, if you get ceramic pads next time it will cut down on the brake dust. It is normal for the rim to be slightly warm or hot after driving....it is bolted to the rotor which absorbs almost all of the heat from braking.
What is underlying issue for my car - wheel problems on Acura Integra?
If you live somewhere where it snows or rains alot then it's not suprising that is all you've had to do for a car with 120,00 miles. It's pretty average. I've seen alot of cars with wheel bearing going out. Although if only the front ones went bad try getting a front end alignment.
You have a stuck brake caliper. You probably got the brakes so hot that it baked the grease out of the wheel bearing. You'll need to replace the caliper and the rotor. Hopefully that'll solve your problem.
Your ABS sensor could be the problem its activating the brakes when they don't need to be there for overheating you brake disks

No comments:

Post a Comment